By Jean-Georges Vongerichten & Mark Bittman
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 ½ cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine the 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour with the salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, and baking powder in a bowl or food processor. Add the butter and cut it in or process until the mixture is crumbly. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk and, using your hands, begin to gather the mixture into a ball; if it is still a little dry, add some or all of the remaining milk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of ¼ inch or less and line a 10-inch tart pan with it, pressing the dough into the bottom and sides and trimming the excess. Refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Prick the bottom of the dough all over with a fork. Mix together the remaining ½ cup sugar and the pinch of flour with the creme fraiche or sour cream. Spread over the bottom of the tart shell, then dust with the cinnamon. Bake until the crust is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes; cool completely before serving.
Makes on 10-inch tart, about 8 servings.