MAKES 10 to 12 Bites
1 1/2 pounds New York strip steak, at room temperature
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Evenly and generously coat both sides of the steaks with sea salt and pepper. Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the oil (or better yet, cut a bit of fat from the steak and melt in the pan).
3. Add the steaks and sear until a crust forms, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the steaks and place the pan in the oven. Roast for 3 to 8 minutes to desired doneness.
4. Transfer to a plate and let rest for 15 minutes.
5. Trim and discard any gristle and fat and cut the meat into bite-size cubes. Serve on forks or skewers sprinkled with a little more sea salt.