Shrimp & Grits
SHRIMP & GRITS
1/2 pound spicy chorizo sausage, thick sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, wiped clean, halved or quartered
20 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 lemon, juiced
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
4-5 cups shrimp stock
1 cup white stone ground grits
1 cup whole milk, if needed
1. FOR THE GRITS: Bring 5 cups of water, shrimp shells, and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil over high heat. Simmer for 20 minutes and strain. Throw away shrimp shells.
2. Bring shrimp stock to a boil over high heat. Slowly whisk in grits, reduce to a simmer and continue cooking until grits are soft, stirring with wooden spoon every few minutes, 30 -40 minutes. If grits get too thick add 1/4 cup of whole milk, as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
3. About ten minutes before grits are finished, prepare the shrimp.
4. FOR THE SHRIMP: Place thickly sliced sausage in a medium pan over medium heat and cook until edges of sausage start getting crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove sausage, reserve drippings in skillet and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sauté onion and mushrooms, until lightly browned and softened, about 5 minutes.
5. Increase heat to high, add shrimp and garlic. Sauté until pink and just cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes per side, depending on size of the shrimp. Add lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of hot sauce (or more), salt, and sausage. Stir for a minute or so.
6. Divide the grits among four bowls, top each with 5 shrimp and pieces of sausage. Sprinkle with the green onions.