OYSTER PAN ROAST
2 tablespoons butter, plus 2 tablespoons
2 tablespoons chili sauce, Heinz
2 tablespoons white wine
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Pinch of celery salt
12 oysters, shucked, plus 1/2 cup of their liquor
1/2 cup heavy cream
Pinch of paprika
Salt and Pepper
1. Cut two 1/2-inch thick slices of crusty sourdough bread. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet.
2. Once melted, add bread slices to skillet. Fry bread, flipping once, until golden and crusty on both sides, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a double boiler or metal bowl placed over a saucepan of boiling water, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in chili sauce, white wine, and Worcestershire sauce with a generous pinch of celery salt. Stir in shucked oysters along with their liquor. (If you don't have enough oyster liquor, substitute clam juice.)
4. Cook, barely simmering, until oysters plump and begin to ruffle at their edges, about 4 minutes. Pour in heavy cream and stir. Simmer gently until warmed through, about 3 minutes, but take care not to let mixture boil. Sprinkle with paprika and stir.
5. TO SERVE: Place slice of fried bread in the bottom of a wide shallow bowl. Spoon 6 oysters onto bread and pour half of the creamy broth over top. Sprinkle with additional paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Repeat with remaining bowl.