SERVES 6 as a side
2 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise, large diced, seeds cut out
2 small crook necked squash, quartered lengthwise, large diced, seeds cut out
1 medium sized eggplant, quartered lengthwise, large diced, seeds cut out
1 red bell pepper and 1 green bell pepper, seeded and large diced
1 red onion, large diced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, quartered
2 sprigs fresh thyme
5 leaves fresh basil
Pinch red chili flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and sauté zucchini and squash together with salt and pepper until cooked just through, approximately 3 minutes. (The process is to cook lightly, while removing excess water, so the vegetables do not all blend together into a soup.)
3. When the squash is ready, remove to a casserole (uncovered) and return skillet to heat. Add oil as needed and repeat with eggplant and the red and green bell peppers, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go.
4. With the last of the oil, sauté the onion and garlic. Stir in tomato paste, sun dried tomatoes, and pinch of red chili flakes into the skillet and continue to cook while stirring (to prevent the tomato paste from burning) until the onion mixture is well coated, about 1 minute. Add to the pot with the other vegetables and toss in thyme sprigs and basil leaves.
5. Stir to combine, cover and bake in oven until flavors marry, about 20 minutes.