2 tablespoons butter
1 pound ground pork sausage
1 1/2 onions, finely chopped
2 ribs celery, peeled and thickly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 pound sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 10 cups)
3 to 4 cups turkey or chicken broth
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh marjoram
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, break it into pieces, and cook until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions, celery, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Saute stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Place the bread in a large bowl and stir in the sausage mixture. Add 3 cups of the broth and the marjoram and mix well (if the mixture is still dry, add a little more broth); season with salt and pepper.
4. Butter a 9-x-11-inch baking dish.
5. Transfer the stuffing to the dish, cover with foil, and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the top is crisp and brown, about 45 minutes more.